Full Name: Bordetella Pertussis FHA IgA ELISA Kit
Sample Type: Serum, Plasma
Sensitivity: 0.5 IU/ml
Bordetella pertussis is a small coccobacillus that adheres to ciliated epithelial cells lining the nasopharynx and trachea. Attachment is mediated by hair-like structures called fimbriae. A key adhesin is the filamentous hemagglutinin (FHA), a large surface protein that binds to receptors on epithelial cells. After attaching, B. pertussis secretes toxins that injure the airway epithelium, impair immune function, and elicit pertussis symptoms. Pertussis toxin disrupts host G protein signaling leading to leukocyte dysfunction and inflammation. Tracheal cytotoxin damages the cilia on airway epithelial cells.
Evasion of host immunity by B. pertussis involves suppression of complement activation, secretion of immunomodulatory chemicals, and altering the antigenic properties of surface proteins through genetic changes. It can also switch into a dormant non-replicating state that is more resilient to antibiotic killing and immune clearance.
Pertussis illness progresses through catarrhal, paroxysmal, and convalescent stages. Highly contagious in the mild catarrhal stage before coughing, severe coughing fits in the paroxysmal stage can cause exhaustion, apnea, and even death, especially in infants. Widespread vaccination has greatly reduced pertussis rates, but it persists due to waning vaccine immunity. Adolescent and adult boosters and protecting vulnerable infants are crucial control measures.
Human Bordetella pertussis FHA IgA ELISA kit can be used for analysing in-vitro amounts of human IgA antibodies against Bordetella FHA (Bordetella FHA-IgA) using plasma and serum samples. This assay has a minimum analytical sensitivity limit of 0.5 IU/ml.
All reagents supplied need to be stored at 2 °C – 8 °C, unopened reagents will retain reactivity until expiration date. Do not use reagents beyond this date.
- Bordetella pertussis antigen coated microtiter strips.
- Calibrator A (Negative Control).
- Calibrator B (Cut-Off Standard).
- Calibrator C (Weak Positive Control).
- Calibrator D (Positive Control).
- Enzyme Conjugate.
- TMB Substrate.
- Stop Solution.
- Sample Diluent.
- Washing Buffer (10x).
The minimum detection sensitivity level of human IgA antibodies to Bordetella FHA (Bordetella FHA-IgA) using current Bordetella pertussis FHA IgA ELISA kit was 0.5 IU/ml. The dynamic range for this assay is 10.0 – 50.0 IU/ml.
- Analysis of antibody profiles in children with whooping cough. Dev Biol Stand. (1991) 73: 267-73. Novotny P., et al.
- Serological diagnosis of pertussis: evaluation of IgA against whole cell and specific Bordetella pertussis-antigens as markers of recent infection. Epidemiol Infect. (2002) 128 (2): 161-7. Poynten M., et al.
- Serum IgA responses against pertussis proteins in infected and Dutch wP or aP vaccinated children: an additional role in pertussis diagnostics. PLoS One. (2011) 6 (11): e27681. Hendrikx L.H., et al.
- Immunoglobulin A antibodies to pertussis toxin and filamentous hemagglutinin in saliva from patients with pertussis. J Clin Microbiol. (1990) 28 (7): 1502-5. Zackrisson G., et al.
- Correlation of IgA, IgM and IgG antibody-detecting assays based on filamentous haemagglutinin, pertussis toxin and Bordetella pertussis sonicate in a strictly adult population. Epidemiol Infect. (2005) 133 (1): 149-58. Klement E., et al.
OTHER RELATED ELISA KITS
Online Enquiry Form
"*" indicates required fields