5-HIAA ELISA kit is a procedure for accurately analysing in vitro quantitative levels of 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid (5-HIAA) using urine samples. This assay has a minimum sensitivity detection limit of 0.17 mg/l.
5-Hydroxyindoleacetic acid (5-HIAA), is an end product of serotonin metabolism and it is composed of an indolic compound with hydroxy substitution at the fifth position. It is a biomarker for neurological disorders such; as depression, schizophrenia and Parkinson’s disease. It is a metabolic product of the enzyme 5-HT “SERT”, which catalyses the transformation of serotonin into 5-HT and H ions. It is also produced by other cell types that do not express SERT including; adipocytes and myenteric ganglia cells. The levels are significantly increased during periods of major depression, although how this increase correlates with its production is unknown.
Elevated serotonin (also known as hyperserotonemia) is one of the primary biological findings in autism and there is evidence that 5-HIAA may be elevated in patients with autistic spectrum disorders. Also, are cases of low levels found in the cerebrospinal fluid that have been associated with aggressive behaviour and suicide by violent means, there is a direct correlation with diminished serotonin levels.
All reagents supplied need to be stored at 2 °C – 8 °C, unopened reagents will retain reactivity until expiration date. Do not use reagents beyond this date.
- Adhesive Foil.
- Reaction Tubes.
- Reaction Plate.
- Wash Buffer Concentrate (50x).
- Enzyme Conjugate.
- Substrate – Chromogenic substrate (TMB).
- Stop Solution.
- HIAA Microtiter Strips: Antigen pre-coated microwell plate.
- Standards (A-F) and Controls (1+2) – 0-50 mg/l.
- Assay Buffer.
- Methylation Buffer.
- Methylation Reagent.
The minimum sensitivity detection levels of 5-HIAA or 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid using current 5-HIAA ELISA kit was approximately 0.17 mg/l. The dynamic range for this assay is 0.5 – 50 mg/l.
– Expected Reference Value: < 15 mg/day
– Measuring Range: 0.17 – 50 mg/l
– Analytical Sensitivity (Limit of Detection): 0.17 mg/l
– Analytical Specificity (Cross Reactivity): 5-HIAA (100%), Serotonin (5.5%), 5-Hydroxy-DL-Tryptophan (1.8%), Tryptamine (< 0.1%), Melatonin (< 0.1%), 5-Hydroxytryptamin (< 0.1%), Vanillic – mandelic acid (< 0.1%), Homovanillic Acid (< 0.1%).
– Intra Assay Precision: 8.6 – 14.1%
– Inter Assay Precision: 8.6 – 11.4%
– Linearity: 98 – 112%
– Recovery: 93 – 111%
- Determination of urinary 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid as a metabolomics in gastric cancer. J Gastrointest Cancer. (2015) 46 (2): 138-42. Mokhtari M., et al.
- The measurement of 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid in urine. Ann Clin Biochem. (1994) 31 ( Pt 3): 215-32. Review. Deacon AC.
- The clinical and laboratory correlates of an increased urinary 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid. Postgrad Med J. (1995) 71 (839): 542-5. Review. Tormey W.P. and FitzGerald R.J.
- Is urinary 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid helpful for early diagnosis of acute appendicitis? Am J Emerg Med. (2012) 30 (4): 540-4. Jangjoo A., et al.
- Full Name: 5-HIAA ELISA Kit (5-Hydroxyindoleacetic Acid)
- Reactivity: Any Species
- Sample Type: Urine
- Sensitivity: 0.17 mg/l
OTHER RELATED ELISA KITS
Online Enquiry Form
"*" indicates required fields