Full Name: 27-Hydroxycholesterol ELISA Kit (27 OHC)
Sample Type: Plasma, Tissue Homogenates, Serum, Biological Fluids
Sensitivity: 0.094 ng/ml
27-hydroxycholesterol (27 OHC) is an occurring substance called oxysterol. It plays a role, in the production of bile acids from cholesterol which is important for digestion. The enzymes CYP7B1 and CYP27A1 help create 27 OHC by modifying cholesterol through a process called hydroxylation. In our body it has functions in maintaining cholesterol balance regulating metabolism and influencing immune responses.
As an oxysterol 27-OHC sends signals to control the synthesis and intake of cholesterol by interacting with receptors such as LXR. This helps lower cholesterol levels within cells. Interestingly 27 OHC is the oxysterol found in our bloodstream. Can cross the protective barrier surrounding the brain called the blood brain barrier. In the brain it affects processes like inflammation, toxicity, and degeneration of nerve cells. Additionally, it acts as a signaling molecule for EBI2 receptors that guide cell movement towards areas of inflammation.
In conditions like atherosclerosis where there are fatty deposits in artery walls containing cells called macrophages 27-OHC tends to accumulate and may contribute to plaque instability or rupture. Low levels are observed in Smith Lemli Opitz syndrome – a disorder impacting cholesterol production.
27-Hydroxycholesterol ELISA kit can measure concentrations of 27 OHC (27-Hydroxycholesterol) present is plasma, serum, biological fluids or tissue homogenate samples.
All reagents supplied need to be stored at 2 °C – 8 °C, unopened reagents will retain reactivity until expiration date. Do not use reagents beyond this date.
- One 96-Well Plate: Pre-coated with anti-27 OHC antibody.
- Standards: Lyophilized recombinant.
- Sample/Standard Dilution Buffer.
- Biotinylated-labelled Antibody.
- Antibody Dilution Buffer.
- HRP-Streptavidin Conjugate (SABC).
- SABC Dilution Buffer.
- TMB Substrate.
- Wash Buffer (25x).
- Plate Sealer.
- Product Instructions.
For this 27-Hydroxycholesterol ELISA kit, it is recommended that a standard curve is generated for each assay carried out.
Standard Curve: 0, 0.156, 0.312, 0.625, 1.25, 2.5, 5, 10 ng/ml.
Sensitivity: 0.094 ng/ml
Range: 0.156 – 10 ng/ml
Principle: Competitive, Coated with Antigen
Application: Research Use Only.
– Specificity: Highly specific for 27 OHC, no cross reactivity or interference between 27 OHC and analogues was detected.
– Recovery: Serum (92 – 103%), EDTA Plasma (88 – 96%), Heparin Plasma (86 – 103%).
– Linearity: Serum (87 – 100%), EDTA Plasma (87 – 101%), Heparin Plasma (85 – 102%).
– Precison Intra-Assay: CV < 8%
– Precison Inter-Assay: CV < 10%
- Plasma 27-hydroxycholesterol/cholesterol ratio is increased in low high density lipoprotein-cholesterol healthy subjects. Clin Biochem. (2013) 46 (15): 1619-21. Nunes V.S., et al.
- Oxysterols and neurodegenerative diseases. Mol Aspects Med. (2009) 30 (3): 171-9. Björkhem I., et al.
- Association of demographic and health characteristics with circulating oxysterol concentrations. J Clin Lipidol. (2022) 16 (3): 345-355. Passarelli M.N., et al.
- The cytotoxicity of 27-hydroxycholesterol in co-cultured SH-SY5Y cells and C6 cells. Neurosci Lett. (2016) 632: 209-17. Wang H., et al.
OTHER RELATED ELISA KITS
Online Enquiry Form
"*" indicates required fields