Human direct melatonin saliva ELISA kit is an accurate in vitro quantitative method for detecting melatonin in human saliva samples. This assay has a minimum sensitivity detection limit of 0.5 pg/ml.
Melatonin is secreted by the pineal (corpus pinale) in the brain of animals and it has a major function in regulating wakefulness and sleep. The circulating form can be metabolised in the liver into 6-hydroxymelatonin. This is then converted into 6-sulfatoxymelatonin, which is excreted through urine. However, in plants it has a role as the primary line of defence against oxidative stress. It can be synthesised from tryptophane and the regulation of its secretion is under a neural control, where sympathetic innervation is vital for its release of noradrenaline. Altered patterns or even concentrations of melatonin secretion have been found to coincide with sleep disorders, schizophrenia, depression, hypothalamic amenorrhea, stress, immunological disorders and even some forms of cancers.
There is also evidence that melatonin can aid in controlling the timing and the release of the female reproductive hormones. It can help in determining the start, frequency and duration of women menstruating (menopause). Low concentration can aid in identifying potential pregnant women who may be at risk of pre-eclampsia (only preliminary research done so far). There are preliminary studies indicating that it may possess antioxidant effects which implies that it can function in strengthening the immune system.
All reagents provided need to be stored at a temperature between +2°C to +8°C. Do not freeze. Unopened, all test kit components are stable until the indicated expiry date.
- Microtiter Plate: Coated with anti-rabbit IgG (goat, polyclonal).
Standard A-F: Concentrations 0, 0.5, 1.5, 5.0, 15.0, 50.0 pg/ml.
- Control 1 And Control 2.
- Melatonin Antiserum: Contains rabbit, polyclonal antiserum.
- Melatonin Biotin.
- Enzyme Conjugate: Contains streptavidin conjugated to HRP.
- Wash Buffer (20x Concentrate).
- TMB Substrate Solution.
- Stop Solution.
- Adhesive Foil.
The minimum sensitivity detection limit of direct melatonin using current salivary melatonin ELISA kit was approximately 0.5 pg/ml. The dynamic range for this assay is 0 – 50.0 pg/ml.
– Limit of Blank (LoB): 0.4 pg/mL
– Limit of Quantitation (LoQ): 0.854 pg/mL (CV = 20%)
– Linearity: Assay displayed linear behaviour up to a 1:16 dilution
– Recovery: All saliva samples displayed a mean recovery rate of 98% (range 74 – 114%).
– Intra-Assay Variation: Day (15.0 – 19.0%), Night (13.2 – 14.4%).
– Inter-Assay Variation: Day (17.1 – 23.8%), Night (16.5 – 19.7%).
– Inter-Lot Variation: 8.8 – 17.7%.
- Saliva as a valid alternative in monitoring melatonin concentrations in newborn infants. Early Hum Dev. (2009) 85 (9): 595-8. Bagci S., et al.
- Circadian rhythms of saliva-melatonin in ADHD, anxious and normal children. Neuro Endocrinol Lett. (2011) 32 (6): 790-8. Paclt I., et al.
- An interlaboratory comparison between similar methods for determination of melatonin, cortisol and testosterone in saliva. Scand J Clin Lab Invest. (2014) 74 (5): 454-61. Jensen M.A., et al.
- Full Name: Direct Melatonin Saliva ELISA Kit
- Reactivity: Human
- Sample Type: Saliva
- Sensitivity: 0.5 pg/ml
OTHER RELATED ELISA KITS
Online Enquiry Form
"*" indicates required fields