Human free DHEA saliva ELISA kit is an accurate in vitro quantitative method for detecting free dehydroepiandrosterone (free DHEA) in human saliva samples. This assay has a minimum sensitivity detection limit of 3.7 pg/ml.
Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) which is also known as androstenolone or 3b-hydroxy-5-androsten-17-one, is a member of the androgens family and is almost exclusively (over 96 %) produced in the adrenal cortex. There are also small amounts which can be produced in the brain or the gonads. The androgenic activity of DHEA is found to be quite weak when compared to that of testosterone and this is because of the presence of a 17-oxo instead of a hydroxyl group. The normal human DHEA concentration changes significantly with age and this age-related decline of DHEA secretion is known as “adrenopause”, this is primarily caused by a reduction in the production of DHEA within the adrenal cortex. The measurement of human DHEA has been helpful due to its ubiquitous properties in many fields of research and diagnostics (for example endocrinology, neuroendocrinology, anti-aging medicine, veterinary medicine, in sports medicine and psychology). The following human salivary DHEA ELISA kit can be used routinely for many diagnostic applications.
It is only the non-bound or free dehydroepiandrosterone protein which has the ability to enter cells and then be converted, this is also the case with saliva (i.e. only the free DHEA can be transferred). This has made it easier to determine the biologically active concentrations of DHEA by directly and easily measuring saliva levels of DHEA instead of blood, since in saliva only the free active form is present. However, one disadvantage of saliva sampling over blood is that the concentration of free DHEA in saliva is approx. 1/30 of that found in sera. Both in serum and also in salivary DHEA concentrations that are observed can be seen to pulsatile with clear oscillation range around the middle value and because of the dynamic pulsatile nature of the pattern of secretion, it is highly recommended to use saliva sampling in order to make repeated measurements.
FREE DHEA SALIVA ELISA KIT CONTENT
All reagents supplied need to be stored at 2 °C – 8 °C, unopened reagents will retain reactivity until expiration date. Do not use reagents beyond this date.
- Microtiterwells (96 Wells): Coated with polyclonal anti-DHEA antibody.
- Calibrator 0.
- Calibrators 1-5: Concentrations 10, 40, 160, 640, 2560 pg/ml, made up from human DHEA.
- Control 1 (Low) And Control 2 (High).
- Enzyme Conjugate: Consisting of DHEA conjugated to horseradish peroxidase (HRP).
- TMB Substrate Solution.
- Stop Solution.
- Wash Solution (10x Concentrated).
The minimum sensitivity detection limit of free dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) using current human salivary DHEA ELISA kit was approximately 3.7 pg/ml. The dynamic range for this assay is 10.0 – 2560.0 pg/ml.
– Free Salivary Dehydroepiandrosterone (Free DHEA Saliva): ELISA
– Analytical Sensitivity: 3.7 pg/ml
– Assay Dynamic Range: 10 – 2560 pg/ml.
– Intra-Assay Variation: 4.9 – 9.0%
– Inter-Assay Variation: 4.5 – 6.8%
– Recovery: 96 – 112%
– Linearity: 72 – 108%
- Dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate in saliva. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. (1988) 67 (4): 359-61. Lagrelius A., et al.
- The measurement of hormones in saliva: possibilities and pitfalls. J Steroid Biochem. (1987) 27 (1-3): 81-94. Review. Vining R.F. and McGinley R.A.
- Correlations between serum and salivary hormonal concentrations in response to resistance exercise. J Sports Sci. (2008) 26 (10): 1067-72. Cadore E., et al.
- Full Name: Free DHEA Saliva ELISA Kit
- Reactivity: Human
- Sample Type: Saliva
- Sensitivity: 3.7 pg/ml