- Created on the 6 February, 2017.
Bone morphogenetic protein 5 (BMP-5) is a protein that is encoded by the BMP5 gene and can be mapped on the human chromosome 6.4. It is a member of the TGFβ superfamily, this superfamily is composed of a large number of growth and differentiation factors. The original identification of bone morphogenetic proteins was based on their ability to demineralized bone extract in order to induce endochondral osteogenesis (in vivo) in an extra skeletal site. BMP-5 may play a certain role in specific cancers, it also like other bone morphogenetic proteins has the ability to induce the development of bone and cartilage. Similar to other BMP’s it can be inhibited by noggin and chordin, BMP-5 is predominately expressed in the optic nerve head or in the trabecular meshwork, where it could have a role in normal function or in its development. There is also evidence that it can be expressed in the liver and the lungs. The standard used in the ELISA assay is recombinant BMP-5 as a monomer that has a total molecular mass of 18KDa.
Human BMP-5 ELISA kit is a reliable quantitative procedure for measuring bone morphogenetic protein-5 (BMP-5) in human serum, plasma, tissue lysates, body fluids and cell culture supernatant. This assay has a minimum sensitivity detection limit of < 10.0 pg/ml.
The minimum sensitivity detection limit of bone morphogenetic protein-5 (BMP-5) using this human BMP-5 ELISA kit was approximately < 10.0 pg/ml. The dynamic assay range for this kit is 62.5 – 4000.0 pg/ml.
- Epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition induced by TGF-β1 is mediated by Blimp-1-dependent repression of BMP-5. Cancer Res. (2012) 72 (23): 6268-78. Romagnoli M., et al.
- A bone morphogenetic protein subfamily: chromosomal localization of human genes for BMP5, BMP6, and BMP7. Genomics (1992) 14 (3): 759–62. Hahn G.V., et al.
- A bone morphogenetic protein subfamily: chromosomal localization of human genes for BMP5, BMP6, and BMP7.Genomics (1992) 14: 759-762. Hahn, G. V., et al.
- Bone morphogenetic proteins 5 and 6 stimulate osteoclast generation. J Biomed Mater Res A. (2006) 77 (1): 75-83. Wutzl A., et al.
- Bone morphogenetic protein-5 (BMP-5) promotes dendritic growth in cultured sympathetic neurons. BMC Neurosci (2003) 2: 12. Beck H.N., et al.
- Full Name: Bone Morphogenetic Protein-5 (BMP-5) ELISA Kit
- Reactivity: Human
- Sample Type: Serum, Plasma, Tissue Lysate, Cell Culture Supernatant, Body Fluids
- Sensitivity: < 10.0 pg/ml