Folic acid ELISA kit can be used to determine quantitative concentrations of folic acid (vitamin B9, folate) in food. This assay has a minimum analytical sensitivity limit of 2.0 ng/ml.
Folic acid (known as folate and vitamin B9) is one of the main B vitamins, it plays a vital role in making the genetic material of cells and is also essential for the growth and development processes. Other important roles include helping to maintain a healthy nervous system and forming of red blood cells which are needed to transport oxygen around the body. These wide range of functions makes folic acid a key vitamin for cell growth and metabolism. Folic acid supplements are highly recommended for pregnant women, since they lower the risk of early labour and pre-eclampsia. Supplements have also been used to treat many different types of anaemia, folate deficiencies are common in people having kidney or liver disease, digestive problems and individuals who abuse alcohol. Folic acid is found to reduce the toxicity of methotrexate when used in treating rheumatoid arthritis and psoriasis.
The following assay offers a quick alternative to measure folic acid in supplemented foods. Providing a result in 2-4 hours when compared to 24-48 hours using some of the traditional techniques. Some of the traditional methods used for analysis include microbiological, HPLC and TLC, however, these involve complex equipment and are relatively time consuming.
FOLIC ACID ELISA KIT CONTENT
All reagents supplied need to be stored at 2 °C – 8 °C, unopened reagents will retain reactivity until expiration date. Do not use reagents beyond this date.
- Microtiter Plate: Coated with folic acid conjugate.
- Folic Acid Standards 1-6: Concentration 0, 4, 10, 40, 100, 400 ng/ml.
- Anti-Folic Acid Antibody (Mouse).
- Conjugate (Anti-Mouse-IgG-HRP).
- Substrate Solution (TMB).
- Stop Solution.
- Sample Diluent (PBS).
- Washing Solution (10x Concentrate).
- Instruction Manual.
The minimum detection sensitivity level of vitamin B9 and folate using current folic acid ELISA kit was 2.0 ng/ml. The standard range for this assay is 4.0 – 400.0 ng/ml.
– Folic Acid: ELISA
– Sensitivity: 2 ng/ml
– Intra-Assay Precision: 3%
– Linearity: 90 – 110%
– Cross Reactivity: Relative to folic acid (=100 %): Dihydrofolic acid (18%), Tetrahydrofolic acid (5%), 5-Formyltetrahydrofolic acid (0.1%).
- Disposable microfluidic ELISA for the rapid determination of folic acid content in food products. Anal Bioanal Chem. (2007) 387 (1): 267-75. Hoegger D., et al.
- Determination of folate/folic acid level in milk by microbiological assay, immuno assayand high performance liquid chromatography. J Dairy Res. (2013) 80 (2): 233-9. Iyer R. and Tomar S.K.
- Addition of cobalamin to iron and folic acid improves hemoglobin rise in nutritional anemia. Indian J Pediatr. (2012) 79 (12): 1592-6. Chandelia S., et al.
- Antibody to folic acid: increased specificity and sensitivity in ELISA by using epsilon-aminocaproic acid modified BSA as the carrier protein. J Immunol Methods. (1995) 184 (1): 1-6. Das Sarma J., et al.
- Full Name: Folic Acid ELISA Kit
- Sample Type: Food
- Sensitivity: 2.0 ng/ml