- Created on the 2 May, 2017.
Vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 (VCAM-1) is also known as CD106, having a main function as a cell adhesion molecule. The protein has a major role in mediating adhesion of monocytes, lymphocytes, basophils, eosinophils and vascular endothelium cells. Some of VACAM-1 other functions include signal transduction of leukocyte-endothelial cells and a facilitating the development of rheumatoid arthritis and atherosclerosis. The expression of VCAM-1 has also been identified in a number of other cell types such as smooth muscle cells. Increased expression of VCAM1 has been found to be linked to a variety of chronic inflammatory conditions, this makes this molecule an ideal target for intervention. There are some melanoma cells which are able to use VCAM-1 in order to adhere to the endothelium, it has also be found to participate in the recruitment of monocyte to a number of atherosclerotic sites.
VCAM-1 gene consists of 6-7 immunoglobulin domains which can be expressed on both large and small blood vessels following cytokine stimulation of endothelial cells. The gene product is a type I membrane protein (cell surface sialoglycoprotein), a member of the Ig superfamily. Presently, in humans two RNA transcripts which encode different isoforms (alternatively spliced) have been identified.
Human VCAM-1 ELISA kit that is designed for detecting in vitro quantitative levels of vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 (CD106, VCAM-1) in human serum, cell lysates, biological fluids, cell culture supernatant and plasma. This assay has a minimum sensitivity limit of 0.03 ng/ml.
The minimum detection sensitivity level of VCAM-1 or CD106 using this human VCAM-1 ELISA kit was 0.03 ng/ml. The dynamic assay range for this kit is 0.781 – 50 ng/ml.
- Emerging properties of adhesion complexes: what are they and what do they do? Trends Cell Biol. (2015) 25 (7): 388-97. Review. Humphries J.D., et al.
- Biomarkers in Rheumatoid Arthritis, what is new? J Med Life. (2016) 9 (2): 144-8. Review. Gavrilă B.I., et al.
- Cellular adhesion molecules on vascular smooth muscle cells. Cardiovasc Res. (1999) 41 (2): 395-401. Review. Braun M., et al.
- Full Name: Vascular Cell Adhesion Molecule-1 (VCAM-1) ELISA Kit
- Reactivity: Human
- Sample Type: Cell Lysates, Cell Culture Supernatant, Serum, Plasma, Other Biological Fluids
- Sensitivity: 0.03 ng/ml