- Created on the 13 February, 2017.
Tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha or TNF-α) which is also sometimes called cachectin is a multi-functional cytokine that is secreted by macrophages in response to infection, cancer and inflammation. It has many functions and is involved in a number of different pathways that are important in regulating pathophysiology and homeostasis in mammals. TNF-alpha is primarily expressed in macrophages, however, there are lots for evidence suggesting that it can also be expressed in a number of other cells including: endothelial cells, monocytes, mast-cells, NK-cells, activated lymphocytes, neutrophils and fibroblasts cells.
The human TNF cDNA is 1585 base pairs in length and is encoding a 233 amino acids protein. It was first purified from HL-60 leukemia cells as a 17.3-kilodalton protein, where it displayed cytostatic and cytotoxic activities against a number of different human tumor cell lines. TNF-alpha is located human chromosome 6 and the gene is a member 2 of the TNF-superfamily (there are currently more the 20 distinct members so far).
Human TNF-alpha ELISA kit is a reliable quantitative procedure for measuring tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha or TNF-α) in human serum, plasma (EDTA, heparin, citrate) and cell culture medium. This assay has a minimum sensitivity detection limit of 5.0 pg/ml.
The minimum sensitivity detection limit of tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-α) using this human TNF-alpha ELISA kit was approximately 5.0 pg/ml. The dynamic assay range for this kit is 23 – 1,500 pg/ml.
- Tumor necrosis factor type alpha stimulates human endothelial cells to produce granulocyte/macrophage colony-stimulating factor. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. (1986) 83: 7467-7471. Broudy, V.C., et al.
- Tumor necrosis factor-α signaling in macrophages. Crit Rev Eukaryot Gene Expr. (2010) 20 (2): 87-103. Review. Parameswaran N. and Patial S.
- Molecular cloning of the complementary DNA for human tumor necrosis factor. Science (1985) 228: 149-154. Wang, A.M., et al.
- TNF-alpha and obesity. Curr Dir Autoimmun. (2010) 11: 145-56. Review. Tzanavari T., et al.
- Full Name: Tumor Necrosis Factor-Alpha (TNF-Alpha) ELISA Kit
- Reactivity: Human
- Sample Type: Serum, Plasma (EDTA, Citrate, Heparin), Cell Culture Medium
- Sensitivity: 5.0 pg/ml