- Created on the 7 February, 2017.
Transforming growth factor alpha (TGF-alpha) is a protein that is encoded by the TGFA gene in humans and can be produced in brain cells, keratinocytes and macrophages. TGF-α is a mitogenic polypeptide which belongs to the epidermal growth factor (EGF) family, where this protein can be activated upon binding of epidermal growth factor receptors which are capable of protein kinase activity and activating cell signalling pathways for cellular proliferation, differentiation and development.
There is also evidence to suggest that TGFα can stimulate the proliferation of neural cell in the adult injured brain. This protein is able to act either as a soluble ligand or a transmembrane-bound ligand and it has associated with a number of different types of cancers, it can also promote angiogenesis and is involved in tumerogenesis. The 50-amino acid TGF-alpha is believed to be the bioactive molecule that is produced and secreted by many tumor cell lines.
Human TGF-alpha ELISA kit is a reliable quantitative procedure for measuring transforming growth factor alpha (TGF-alpha, TGF-α) in human serum, plasma (heparin, EDTA), milk and cell culture supernatant. This assay has a minimum sensitivity detection limit of < 1.0 pg/ml.
The minimum sensitivity detection limit of transforming growth factor alpha (TGF-α) using this TGF-alpha ELISA kit was approximately < 1.0 pg/ml. The dynamic assay range for this kit is 15.6 – 1000.0 pg/ml.
- Serum levels of HGF, IL-6, and TGF-α after benign liver tumor resection. Adv Med Sci. (2015) 60 (1): 173-7. Kornasiewicz O., et al.
- Roles of transforming growth factor-alpha in mammary development and disease. Growth Factors. (2007) 25 (4): 227-35. Review. Booth B.W. and Smith G.H.
- Tumour necrosis factor-α stimulates human neutrophils to release preformed activin A. Immunol Cell Biol. (2011) 89 (8): 889-96. Chen Y., et al.
- Basic actions of transforming growth factor-alpha and related peptides. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. (1995) 7 (10): 923-7. Review. Coffey R.J., et al.
- Transforming growth factor alpha. Cell Biol Int. (1995) 19 (5): 373-88. Review. Kumar V., Bustin S.A. and McKay I.A.
- Full Name: Transforming Growth Factor Alpha (TGF-Alpha) ELISA Kit
- Reactivity: Human
- Sample Type: Serum, Plasma (EDTA, Heparin), Cell Culture Supernatant, Milk
- Sensitivity: < 1.0 pg/ml