- Created on the 2 February, 2017.
Thyroid peroxidase (TPO) is a membrane-bound hemoprotein which has a molecular weight of nearly 100 kDa. It is essential for thyroid hormone synthesis because this microsomal antigen is an integral membrane protein of the microsomes. Persisting inhibition of TPO activity by specific autoantibodies (Anti-TPO Abs) has been found to cause a decrease in the synthesis of thyroid hormones and thus lead to hypothyroidism. Also, high autoantibodies titers to TPO are frequently discovered in patients that have myxedema (atrophic thyroiditis), Hashimoto’s disease (goitrous thyroiditis) and Graves’ disease. They may be predictive in asymptomatic individuals who are diagnosed for hypothyroidism. Especially at the end of pregnancy, where the determination of thyroid antibodies can be a helpful diagnostic tool to diagnose the early onset of post-partum hypothyroidism.
Thyroid peroxidase-Ab ELISA kit is a reliable quantitative procedure for measuring thyroid peroxidase-Ab (TPO-Ab) in human serum and plasma. This assay has a detection sensitivity limit of 5 IU/ml.
The minimum sensitivity detection limit of thyroid peroxidase (TPO-Ab) using this thyroid peroxidase-Ab ELISA kit was approximately 5 IU/ml. The dynamic assay range for this kit is between 33 – 3,000 IU/ml.
- Anti-thyroid peroxidase antibody in patients with autoimmune thyroid disease: possible identity with antimicrosomal antibody. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 61 (1985) 1001-1003. Portmann, L., et al.
- Thyroid peroxidase is the organ-specific “microsomal” antigen involved in thyroid autoimmunity. Acta Endocrinol (Copenhagen) 281 (1987) 49-55. Ruf, J., et al.
- Thyroperoxidase, an auto-antigen with a mosaic structure made of nuclear and mitochondrial gene modules. EMBO J 6 (1987) 4193-4196. Libert, F., et al.
- Antithyroid peroxidase autoantibodies in thyroid disease. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 71 (1990) 661-669. Mariotti, S., et al.
- Autoimmune thyroid disease. Autoimmunity 37-4 (2004) 337-340. Weetman, A. P.
- Full Name: Thyroid peroxidase-Ab (TPO-Ab) ELISA Kit
- Reactivity: Human
- Sample Type: Serum, Plasma
- Sensitivity: 5 IU/ml