- Created on the 29 June, 2017.
Smith antibodies (or anti-Sm) are made up of small nuclear ribonucleoprotein, consisting of a number of autoantigens ranging between 11-26 kD that are designated B, B1, D, E, F and G. Sm are essentially 1 of 4 autoantigens that are referred to as extractable nuclear antigens (ENAs), the other ENAs are SS-A/Ro, SS-B/La and RNP. Antibodies to ENAs are present in patients with connective tissue diseases (including SLE), scleroderma, MCTD, Sjogren’s syndrome and polymyositis/dermatomyositis. The concentrations of Sm antibodies remain relatively constant in patients with SLE and they are also usually present in patients that possess RNP antibodies. Sm antibodies are highly specific (over 99%) for systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and therefore regarded as an important diagnostic marker for SLE.
Human Sm ELISA kit can be used for analysing in-vitro quantitative levels of IgG autoantibodies to Smith antibodies (anti-Sm) using human serum and plasma. This assay has a minimum analytical sensitivity limit of 1.0 U/ml.
The minimum detection sensitivity level of human Smith antibodies (anti-Sm) IgG autoantibodies using this human Sm ELISA kit was 1.0 U/ml. The dynamic assay range for this kit is 12.5 – 200.0 U/ml.
- Association of cerebrospinal fluid anti-Sm antibodies with acute confusional state in systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Res Ther. (2014) 16 (5): 450. Hirohata S., et al.
- Sm peptides in differentiation of autoimmune diseases. Adv Clin Chem. (2011) 54: 109-28. Review. Mahler M.
- Clinical value of an integrated ELISA system for the detection of 6 autoantibodies (ssDNA, dsDNA, Sm, RNP/Sm, SSA, and SSB). J Rheumatol. (1990) 17 (2): 192-200. Froelich C.J., et al.
- Diagnostic criteria for systemic lupus erythematosus: a critical review. J Autoimmun. (2014) 48-49: 10-3. Review. Yu C., et al.
- Anti-Sm and anti-RNP antibodies. Autoimmunity. (2005) 38 (1): 47-54. Review. Migliorini P., et al.
- The sensitivity and specificity of autoantibodies to the Sm antigen in the diagnosis of systemic lupus erythematosus. Ann Acad Med Singapore. (1998) 27 (1): 21-3. Pan L.T., et al.
- Full Name: Sm Ab ELISA Kit
- Reactivity: Human
- Sample Type: Serum, Plasma
- Sensitivity: 1.0 U/ml