- Created on the 19 February, 2017.
Sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) is a B-globulin which has a molecular weight of 86 kDa/mol and has the ability to bind specifically to steroid hormones. It is thought to be predominately synthesised in the hepatocytes, this production is regulated by thyroid hormones, androgen/estrogen balance, insulin and dietary factors. One of its major function is the involvement in the transport of sex steroids within the plasma and its concentrations can be a vital factor in regulating the distribution between protein-bound or free states available.
On the hold the determination of SHBG can allow the possibility to calculate the free fraction of many other steroid hormones which is based on the total concentration measured in serum. It must be also remembered that the metabolic activity of any steroid is only represented by the free hormone fraction which represents under 5% of the total amount present.
The measurement of SHBG levels have been helpful in evaluating mild disorders of androgen metabolism and can allow the identification of women with hirsutism that may respond to estrogen therapy. Testosterone/SHBG-ratios have been found to correlate well with both the calculated and measured values for free testosterone and this can be vital in aiding the discrimination between patients with normal from those with excessive androgen activity individuals.
SHBG ELISA kit is a reliable quantitative procedure for measuring sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) in human serum or plasma. This assay has a minimum sensitivity detection limit of 0.2 nmol/l.
The minimum sensitivity detection limit of sex-hormone-binding globulin using this human SHBG ELISA kit was approximately 0.2 nmol/l. The dynamic assay range for this kit is 4.0 – 300.0 nmol/l.
- Novel insights in SHBG regulation and clinical implications. Trends Endocrinol Metab. (2015) 26 (7): 376-83. Review. Simó R., et al.
- Sex hormone binding globulin and insulin resistance. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). (2013) 78 (3): 321-9. Review. Wallace I.R., et al.
- The biomarker sex hormone-binding globulin – from established applications to emerging trends in clinical medicine. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. (2015) 29 (5): 749-60. Review. Thaler M.A., et al.
- Sex hormone binding globulin and aging. Horm Metab Res. (2009) 41 (3): 173-82. Review. Caldwell J.D. and Jirikowski G.F.
- Full Name: Sex Hormone-Binding Globulin (SHBG) ELISA Kit
- Reactivity: Human
- Sample Type: Serum, Plasma
- Sensitivity: 0.35 nmol/l