Human prolactin ELISA kit is a reliable quantitative procedure for measuring PRL (prolactin, lactogenic hormone) in human serum samples. This assay has a minimum sensitivity detection limit of 0.35 ng/ml.
Human prolactin (PRL) which can be also called lactogenic hormone, it is a polypeptide hormone that has a molecular weight of 20,000 Da and can be found secreted from the anterior pituitary gland in both men and women. It plays vital roles in the production and secretion of milk, the development of the mammary gland and in controlling the female and male gonadal functions. The release and synthesis of prolactin is usually under the influence of neuro-endocrinal control which can be found to occur primarily through prolactin releasing factor (PRF) and prolactin Inhibiting factor (PIF).
During pregnancy, the concentration of prolactin can increase progressively reaching levels that can be between 10-20 times higher than normal values, it can then decline to non-pregnant levels by 3-4 weeks post- partum. However, breast feeding mothers can maintain the high levels of prolactin and it can take several months for the serum concentrations to return back to similar levels as non-pregnant levels. The primary functions of prolactin is to initiate breast development and to maintain lactation, it can also suppress gonadal function. Women have been found to generally have slightly higher basal prolactin levels when compared to men, this is due to an apparent estrogen- related rise at puberty and a corresponding decrease at menopause.
The following human prolactin ELISA kit procedure provides a sensitive, rapid and a reliable assay. It also displays no cross-reactivity with LH, hCG, FSH, hGH and TSH. The plasma concentration of prolactin is known to increases in a number of physiological situations for example during stress, pregnancy and lactation. The physiological levels can also be found to fluctuate according to nycthemeral rhythm, where at night a significant rise can be observed. Ovulatory suppressants and drugs with anti-dopamine activity (psychotropic agents) can also increase the secretion of prolactin. The measurement of human prolactin concentrations is useful in aiding the diagnosis of hypothalamic- pituitary disorders. High human prolactin levels have been linked with galactorrhea and amenorrhea, micro-adenomas (small pituitary tumors) which can cause hyperprolactinemia, which is sometimes linked with male impotence.
PROLACTIN ELISA KIT CONTENT
All reagents supplied need to be stored at 2 °C – 8 °C, unopened reagents will retain reactivity until expiration date. Do not use reagents beyond this date.
- Microtiterwells: Break apart strips, coated with anti human prolactin antigen.
- Standards 0-5: Lyophilized human prolactin. Concentration 0-200 ng/mL. The standards are calibrated against WHO 3 rd International Standard for Prolactin IRP (84/500.).
- Controls 1 and Control 2: Contains human prolactin.
- Enzyme Conjugate: Consisting of anti human prolactin antibody conjugated to horseradish peroxidase (HRP).
- Substrate Solution: Tetramethylbenzidine (TMB).
- Stop Solution: Contains 1 N acidic solution, Avoid contact with the stop solution. It may cause skin irritations and burns.
- Wash Solution (Concentrated).
The minimum sensitivity detection limit of PRL (prolactin, lactogenic hormone) using current human prolactin ELISA kit was approximately 0.35 ng/ml. The dynamic range for this assay is 5.0 – 200.0 ng/ml.
- New insights in prolactin: pathological implications. Nat Rev Endocrinol. (2015) 11 (5): 265-75. Review. Bernard V., et al.
- New concepts in prolactin biology. J Endocrinol. (2010) 206 (1): 1-11. Review. Bernichtein S., et al.
- Prolactin–not only lactotrophin. A “new” view of the “old” hormone. J Physiol Pharmacol. (2012) 63 (5): 435-43. Review. Ignacak A., et al.
- Prolactin and human tumourogenesis. J Neuroendocrinol. (2010) 22 (7): 771-7. Review. Fernandez I., et al.
- The role of prolactin in andrology: what is new? Rev Endocr Metab Disord. (2015) 16 (3): 233-48. Review. Rastrelli G., et al.
- Full Name: Prolactin ELISA Kit
- Reactivity: Human
- Sample Type: Serum
- Sensitivity: 0.35 ng/ml
OTHER RELATED ELISA KITS