- Created on the 9 February, 2017.
Human proinsulin ELISA kit is a reliable quantitative procedure for measuring pro-insulin in human serum and plasma samples. This assay has a minimum sensitivity detection limit of < 0.5 pmol/l.
Proinsulin is an 86 amino acid which is synthesised by the beta cells of the pancreas, it is also the precursor to the insulin molecule. Only a small portion of proinsulin approx. 15% is released as proinsulin whereas the rest is converted to C-Peptide and insulin, both of these are secreted in equimolar quantity in the blood. The biological activity of pro-insulin is around 10% of that of insulin, however, the half-life of proinsulin is more than three times as long as insulin.
The determination of proinsulin levels in serum can be used to provide vital information in the diagnosis of insulinomas. The level of serum pro-insulin present is a good reflection of the status of ß cell, levels are found to be elevated in insulin dependent diabetics (IDDM), non-insulin dependent diabetics (NIDDM) and in many other clinical situations. Also, higher levels of circulating proinsulin are identified in older patients, patients with insulinomas, obese diabetics, pregnant women, functional hyperinsulinemia and hypoglycaemia syndrome. Thisfolowing assay protocol is intended to measure human intact pro-insulin and by calculating the molar ration of proinsulin to true insulin (P/I), this can offer a better assessment of ß cell function.
Reagents which are supplied with the following proinsulin ELISA kit, please following instructions for storage conditions.
1. Microtiterwells: coated with anti-proinsulin antibody (monoclonal).
2. Standard (0-5): concentrations are 0 – 2.6 – 6.6 – 16.5 – 33 – 66 pmol/L.
3. Control (low and high).
4. Sample Diluent.
5. Enzyme Conjugate: 11X concentrate.
6. Conjugate Diluent.
7. Assay Buffer.
8. Substrate Solution.
9. Wash Solution (40x).
10. Stop Solution.
The minimum sensitivity detection limit of pro-insulin using current human proinsulin ELISA kit was approximately 0.5 pmol/l. The dynamic range for this assay is 2.6 – 66.0 pmol/l.
- Circulating C-Peptide: Measurement and Clinical Applications. Annals of Clinical Biochemistry. (1981) 18: 125. Ashby, J. and Frier, B.
- Immunoradiometric Assay of Human Intact Proinsulin Applied to Patients with Type 2 Diabetes, Impaired Glucose Tolerance, and Hyperandrogenism. Clinical Chemistry. (1994) 40/5: 754. Chevenne D., et al.
- Proinsulin by Immunochemiluminometric Assay for the Diagnosis of Insulinoma. Jorunal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. (1994) 78:1048. Kao P.C., et al.
- Full Name: Proinsulin ELISA Kit
- Reactivity: Human
- Sample Type: Serum, Plasma
- Sensitivity: < 0.5 pmol/l