- Created on the 9 February, 2017.
Proinsulin is an 86 amino acid which is synthesised by the beta cells of the pancreas, it is also the precursor to the insulin molecule. Only a small portion of proinsulin approx. 15% is released as proinsulin whereas the rest is converted to C-Peptide and insulin, both of these are secreted in equimolar quantity in the blood. The biological activity of proinsulin is around 10% of that of insulin, however, the half-life of proinsulin is more than three times as long as insulin.
The determination of proinsulin levels in serum can be used to provide vital information in the diagnosis of insulinomas. The level of serum proinsulin present is a good reflection of the status of ß cell, levels are found to be elevated in insulin dependent diabetics (IDDM), non-insulin dependent diabetics (NIDDM) and in many other clinical situations. Also, higher levels of circulating proinsulin are identified in older patients, patients with insulinomas, obese diabetics, pregnant women, functional hyperinsulinemia and hypoglycaemia syndrome. This ELISA assay is intended to measure human intact proinsulin and by calculating the molar ration of proinsulin to true insulin (P/I), this can offer a better assessment of ß cell function.
Human proinsulin ELISA kit is a reliable quantitative procedure for measuring proinsulin in human serum and plasma samples. This assay has a minimum sensitivity detection limit of < 0.5 pmol/l.
The minimum sensitivity detection limit of proinsulin using this human proinsulin ELISA kit was approximately 0.5 pmol/l. The dynamic assay range for this kit is 2.6 – 66.0 pmol/l.
- Circulating C-Peptide: Measurement and Clinical Applications. Annals of Clinical Biochemistry. (1981) 18: 125. Ashby, J. and Frier, B.
- Immunoradiometric Assay of Human Intact Proinsulin Applied to Patients with Type 2 Diabetes, Impaired Glucose Tolerance, and Hyperandrogenism. Clinical Chemistry. (1994) 40/5: 754. Chevenne D., et al.
- Proinsulin by Immunochemiluminometric Assay for the Diagnosis of Insulinoma. Jorunal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. (1994) 78:1048. Kao P.C., et al.
- Full Name: Proinsulin ELISA Kit
- Reactivity: Human
- Sample Type: Serum, Plasma
- Sensitivity: < 0.5 pmol/l