PMSG rapid test is a one-step test designed for routine or practical screening of specific PMSG (pregnant mare serum gonadotropin) in serum or plasma of mare between 40-120 days after fertilisation to confirm pregnancy. This procedure is based on the blocking rapid immunochromatic assay method and can be performed in a few minutes. This assay has a minimum sensitivity detection limit of +/- 10IU.
Pregnant mare serum gonadotropin (PMSG) or equine chorionic gonadotrophin is a hormone which is secreted through the endometrial cups between 40th and the 120th days of gestation. It can stimulate and form additional corpora lutea, PMSG along with progesterone is used to induce ovulation before artificial insemination can be carried out. It is first detected in the blood of pregnant mares between 35-40 days of gestation, peaking around day 60 before it starts to slowly decline to undetectable levels at around 140 days of gestation. After this point the placenta starts to produce the require amounts of progesterone in order to maintain pregnancy. The detection of PMSG levels is considered as a specific test for pregnancy since this is only found in pregnant mare.
The minimum sensitivity detection limit of pregnant mare serum gonadotropin using current PMSG rapid test is +/- 10IU. The dynamic range for this assay procedure, please refer to the instruction manual.
- Dynamics of ovarian follicular development in cattle during the estrous cycle, early pregnancy and in response to PMSG. Domest Anim Endocrinol. (1991) 8 (2): 209-21. Driancourt M.A., et al.
- Observations on reproductive performance in the yearling mare. J Reprod Fertil Suppl. (1975) (23): 531-6. Mitchell D. and Allen W.R.
- Field experiences with early pregnancy diagnosis by progesterone-based ELISA in sows. Onderstepoort J Vet Res. (2008) 75 (1): 55-8. Boma M.H. and Bilkei G.
- Pregnant mare serum gonadotropin. Rapid chromatographic procedures for the purification of intact hormone and isolation of subunits. J Biol Chem. (1980) 255 (14): 6923-9. Moore W.T. Jr. and Ward D.N.
- Full Name: PMSG Rapid Test
- Reactivity: n/a
- Sample Type: Serum, Plasma
- Sensitivity: +/- 10IU