Human free androstenedione saliva ELISA kit is an accurate in vitro quantitative method for detecting free androstenedione (4-androsten-3 or 17-dione) in human saliva. This assay has a minimum sensitivity detection limit of 5.0 pg/ml.
Androstenedione which is also referred to as 17-dione or 4-androsten-3, is a very common precursor for the male and female sex hormones (in particular testosterone and estrone). It is a steroid hormone that is formed as an intermediate step during biochemical pathways that are responsible for producing the androgen (testosterone) and the estrogens (estrone or estradiol). Due to this property many scientist regard it as an important tool evaluating the functional state of these glands.
The following salivary androstenedione ELISA kit is intended to be used for various diagnostic applications. During pregnancy and at the age of puberty the androstenedione concentrations present in serum is known to increase and these begin to decrease again after menopause. Also, higher levels of androstenedione that are circulating have been found in women with polycystic ovaries or 21-hydroxylase effect. Overproduction tends to be the result of either ovarian dysfunction or maybe it is an adrenal origin. In contrast a significant reduction is identified in patients that have postmenopausal osteoporosis. The production of adrenal androstenedione is regulated by ACTH, while production of gonadal androstenedione is regulated by gonadotropins.
This salivary assay is designed for analysing specifically saliva samples, there is a high correlation between serum and saliva androstenedione, this has indicated that any individual difference in androstenedione present is serum can be accurately calculated using this salivary androstenedione assay, which is a non-invasive alternative sampling procedure.
FREE ANDROSTENEDIONE SALIVA ELISA KIT CONTENT
All reagents supplied need to be stored at 2 °C – 8 °C in the dark and do not use reagents beyond this date.
- Microtiterwells (96 Well Plate): Coated with anti-androstenedione antibody.
- Standards S0 – S4: Concentrations 0, 20, 100, 400, 1,000.0 pg/ml, made from human androstenedione.
- Controls Low And Control High.
- Incubation Buffer.
- Enzyme Conjugate: Consisting of androstenedione conjugated with horseradish peroxidase (HRP).
- TMB Substrate Solution.
- Stop Solution: Sulphuric acid (avoid any skin contact).
- Wash Solution (50x Concentrated).
The minimum sensitivity detection limit of free androstenedione (17-dione or 4-androsten-3) using current salivary androstenedione ELISA kit was approximately 5.0 pg/ml. The dynamic range for this assay is 20.0 – 1,000.0 pg/ml.
– Free Androstenedione Saliva: ELISA
– Sensitivity: 5 pg/mL
– Intra-Assay Variation: Assay variability is ≤ 8.5%
– Inter-Assay Variation: Assay variability is ≤ 11%.
– Accuracy: The recovery of 50 – 200 – 500 pg/mL displayed an average value (±SD) of 102.60 % ± 13.23 %.
– Specificity: Androstenedione (100%), Testosterone (1.2%), Epitestosterone (0.2%), 5α-dihydrotestosterone (0.1%), DHEA (0.1%), Progesterone (1×10-3%), Estrone (1×10-3%), Cortisol (1×10-3%).
- Measuring salivary androgens as a useful tool in the diagnosis of polycystic ovary syndrome. Endokrynol Pol. (2012) 63 (3): 183-90. Szydlarska D., et al.
- Salivary steroid assays – research or routine? Ann Clin Biochem. (2009) 46 (Pt 3): 183-96. Review. Wood P.
- Measurement of androgens in women. Semin Reprod Med. (2006) 24 (2): 78-85. Review. Stanczyk F.Z.
- Low ratio of androstenedione to testosterone in plasma and saliva of hirsute women. Clin Chem. (1992) 38 (9): 1819-23. Swinkels L.M., et al.
- Full Name: Free Androstenedione Saliva ELISA Kit
- Reactivity: Human
- Sample Type: Saliva
- Sensitivity: 5.0 pg/ml