- Created on the 23 February, 2017.
Melatonin which is also known as N-acetyl-5-methoxy tryptamine is a hormone which is secreted by the pineal (corpus pinale) in the brain of animals and it has a major function in regulating wakefulness and sleep. The majority of the circulating melatonin can be metabolised in the liver into 6-hydroxymelatonin and then subsequently into 6-sulfatoxymelatonin which is later excreted through urine. However, in plants it has a role as the primary line of defence against oxidative stress. Melatonin can be synthesised from tryptophane and the regulation of its secretion is under a neural control, where sympathetic innervation is vital for its release of noradrenaline. Altered patterns or even concentrations of melatonin secretion have been found to coincide with sleep disorders, schizophrenia, depression, hypothalamic amenorrhea, stress, immunological disorders and even some forms of cancers.
There is also evidence that melatonin can aid in controlling the timing and the release of the female reproductive hormones. It can help in determining the start, frequency and duration of women menstruating (menopause). Low concentration of melatonin can aid in identifying potential pregnant women who may be at risk of pre-eclampsia (only preliminary research done so far). There are preliminary studies indicating that melatonin may possess antioxidant effects which implies that it can function in strengthening the immune system.
Human direct melatonin in saliva ELISA kit is an accurate in vitro quantitative method for detecting melatonin in human saliva. This assay has a minimum sensitivity detection limit of 0.5 pg/ml.
The minimum sensitivity detection limit of melatonin using this human direct melatonin in saliva ELISA kit was approximately 0.5 pg/ml. The dynamic assay range for this kit is 0.6 – 25.0 pg/ml.
- Saliva as a valid alternative in monitoring melatonin concentrations in newborn infants. Early Hum Dev. (2009) 85 (9): 595-8. Bagci S., et al.
- Circadian rhythms of saliva melatonin in ADHD, anxious and normal children. Neuro Endocrinol Lett. (2011) 32 (6): 790-8. Paclt I., et al.
- Salivary Melatonin in Relation to Depressive Symptom Severity in Young Adults. PLoS One. (2016) 11 (4): e0152814. Sundberg I., et al.
- An interlaboratory comparison between similar methods for determination of melatonin, cortisol and testosterone in saliva. Scand J Clin Lab Invest. (2014) 74 (5): 454-61. Jensen M.A., et al.
- Full Name: Direct Melatonin Saliva ELISA Kit
- Reactivity: Human
- Sample Type: Saliva
- Sensitivity: 0.5 pg/ml