Human BPI ELISA kit can be used for measuring in vitro quantitative concentrations of IgG autoantibodies to bactericidal/permeability-increasing protein (BPI IgG, BPI) in human seruma and plasma. This assay has a minimum analytical sensitivity limit of 0.5 U/ml.
Bactericidal/permeability-increasing protein (BPI) is a 456 residue cationic protein which is approx. 50kDa in size, produced only by precursors of polymorphonuclear leukocytes (PMN) and forms part of the innate immune system. BPI belongs to a larger group of proteins which are more commonly known as lipid transfer (LT)/LBP family, members of this family possess the ability to bind or attach to many different types of lipid substrates. BPI was first identified as a constituent of neutrophil granules, however, subsequently in humans it has be discovered in many other tissues such as peripheral blood monocytes, dermal fibroblasts, eosinophils, nasolachrymal ducts, epithelia of the genital tract, mucosal epithelia of the alimentary canal, lachrymal glands and tears.
The following human BPI ELISA kit is an ideal tool for analysing many different types of diagnostic applications. Bactericidal/permeability-increasing protein has a potent killing activity against gram-negative bacteria and is often referred to as an endogenous antibiotic protein. It has the ability to binds to compounds which are known as lipopolysaccharides, these are potent activators of the immune system. There is also evidence to suggest that a certain concentration of BPI can prevent this activation process. Diseases that are linked with BPI can often be found to contain mutations of BPI or the presence of the antineutrophil cytoplasmic Ab (ANCA) directed against BPI.
BPI ELISA KIT CONTENT
All reagents supplied need to be stored at 2 °C – 8 °C, unopened reagents will retain reactivity until expiration date. Do not use reagents beyond this date.
- Human BPI Coated Microplate (Dismountable).
- Lyophilized Standard: Concentration 0 – 100.0 U/ml, made up from human BPI.
- Sample/Standard Dilution Buffer.
- Biotin-labelled Antibody (Concentrated).
- Antibody Dilution Buffer.
- HRP-Streptavidin Conjugate (SABC).
- SABC Dilution Buffer.
- TMB Substrate.
- Stop Solution.
- Wash Buffer (25x).
- Plate Sealer.
- Product Description.
The minimum detection sensitivity level of IgG antibodies to bactericidal/permeability-increasing protein (BPI, BPI IgG) using current human BPI ELISA kit was 0.5 U/ml. The dynamic range for this assay is 6.3 – 100.0 U/ml.
- The bactericidal/permeability-increasing protein (BPI) in infection and inflammatory disease. Clin Chim Acta. (2007) 384 (1-2): 12-23. Review. Schultz H. and Weiss J.P.
- Meet the relatives: a family of BPI- and LBP-related proteins. Trends Immunol. (2004) 25 (2): 53-5. Review. Bingle C.D. and Craven C.J.
- Prospects for use of recombinant BPI in the treatment of gram-negative bacterial infections. Infect Agents Dis. (1995) 4 (2): 102-9. Review. Elsbach P. and Weiss J.
- Antimicrobial peptides and colitis. Curr Pharm Des. (2013) 19 (1): 40-7. Review. Ho S., et al.
- Expression of BPI (bactericidal/permeability-increasing protein) in human mucosal epithelia. Biochem Soc Trans. (2003) 31 (Pt 4): 795-800. Review. Levy O., et al.
- Antimicrobial peptides: the ancient arm of the human immune system. Virulence. (2010) 1 (5): 440-64. Review. Wiesner J. and Vilcinskas A.
- Full Name: Bactericidal/Permeability-Increasing protein (BPI) ELISA Kit
- Reactivity: Human
- Sample Type: Serum, Plasma
- Sensitivity: 0.5 U/ml